KORINDO ESG Charter of Commitments
Through this document, we highlight Korindo’s commitments to ‘Sustainable Development’, the protection of human rights and good corporate governance.
This Charter applies to all of Korindo’s current and future holdings, subsidiary companies, joint ventures, companies over which we have management control, and third-party suppliers. To work with us, all third-party suppliers must agree that they will abide by this Charter. The new Korindo ESG Progress monitoring report is open to the public and includes up to date information.
Implementation, enforcement, monitoring and reporting procedures in cooperation with third-party verifiers will ensure compliance for all aspects of the policy and commitments.
We commit ourselves to protecting the environment by working towards ‘Sustainable Development’.
For the purposes of this document, we understand the term ‘Sustainable Development’ (SD) as defined by the Brundtland Commission Report published in 1987.
“Sustainable development (SD) is the kind of development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
To achieve ‘Sustainable Development’, we will:
- Minimize Greenhouse Gas emissions, especially carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Cease the development on High Conservation Value (HCV) or High Carbon Stock (HCS) areas. All natural forest clearance has been suspended since February 2017
- Strengthen conservation measures, especially those related to forests and their biodiversity. These measures are not limited to combat threats caused by humans but also threats posed by wildfire.
- Maintain our commitment to the Forest Stewardship Council guidelines with regards to our timber, plywood and palm oil operations.
- Continue with our belief and practice of not developing peatlands under any circumstances.
- Continue with our zero-burning policy. Korindo has never used and will never use fire to clear land in any of its operations.
These commitments reinforce, and by no means hinder, Korindo’s pledge to the development of land assigned by the Indonesian Government for the purposes of producing timber, plywood and palm oil.
We are committed to the development of Indonesia and its people. In that sense, our actions are not limited to just following the law but also to creating a meaningful impact in the communities that we work with.
To further achieve this goal, we will:
- Continue to provide health resources for people in the communities.
- Keep supporting education facilities.
- Continue creating business opportunities within the communities to help reduce poverty.
- Maintain and enhance our efforts to support communities fight climate change and global warming.
- Improve our procedures with regards to respecting the customary and cultural land rights of communities.
- Establish and practice Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) principle and process.
- Improve our conflict resolution frameworks as well as better communicate these to stakeholders and community members.
- Establish participatory mapping prior to any new development to determine stakeholder boundaries and land uses.
- Develop plasma plantations for the community according to the regulation by the Government of Indonesia.
- Actively create new programs to help improve the lives of people in the communities.
We conduct our business in a manner that respects and guarantees human rights. Labor rights are not an exception.
Consequently, we will:
- Ensure that the rights of all people working in any operation in our supply chain are respected according to local, national and international laws. This includes international standards like the ones set by the International Labour Organization.
- Ensure that the people employed in our operations understand their rights and work responsibilities.
- Establish fair working conditions, not only in terms of wages but also in terms of security inside the workplace.
- Guarantee fair and equal employment opportunities for all employees regardless of race, nationality, religion, linguistic background, or gender.
We commit to resolving complaints and conflicts through an open, transparent and effective process. We seek to engage and collaborate with the local, regional and national governments, certification bodies, regional projects, and NGOs to help better manage our operations.
Consequently, we will:
- Work with key stakeholders and independent verification bodies to implement sustainable growth and promote industry transformation.
- Maintain a monitoring and assessment program to communicate information, progress toward policy compliance, complaints resolution, and supplier engagement and verification.
- Publish progress reports on implementation of sustainable growth.
- Resolve grievances promptly, responsibly, responsively, and proactively.
For a more detailed explanation of the ESG Charter or ESG programs, please contact Korindo PR Team at email@example.com