KORINDO ESG Charter of Commitments
Through this ESG Charter, we highlight Korindo’s commitments to ESG management and good corporate governance.
This Charter applies to all of Korindo’s current and future holdings, including subsidiary companies, joint ventures, companies over which we have management control, and third-party suppliers. To work with us, all third-party suppliers must agree that they will abide by this Charter.
Implementation, enforcement, monitoring and reporting procedures in cooperation with third- party verifiers will ensure compliance for all aspects of the policy and commitments.
We commit ourselves to protecting the environment by working towards ‘Sustainable Development’.
We understand the term ‘Sustainable Development’ (SD) as defined by the Brundtland Commission Report published in 1987.
“Sustainable development (SD) is the kind of development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
To achieve ‘Sustainable Development’, we will:
- Minimize Greenhouse Gas emissions, especially carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Remaining natural vegetation cover (forest cover) and it biodiversity will consistently be maintained and further researched.
- Cease the development on High Conservation Value (HCV) or High Carbon Stock (HCS) areas. All natural forest clearance has been suspended since February 2017.
- Strengthen conservation measures, especially those related to forests and their biodiversity. These measures are not limited to combat threats caused by humans but also threats posed by natural disasters such as flooding and wild fire.
- Maintain our commitment to the PEFC Standards and Guides with regard to our timber and plywood operations.
- Continue with our belief and practice of not developing peat lands under any circumstances.
- Continue with our zero-burning policy. Korindo has never used and will never use fire to clear land in any of its operations.
- Support the national government’s agenda on climate change, particularly relates to Indonesia’s FOLU Net Sink 2030.
These commitments reinforce, and by no means hinder, Korindo’s pledge to the development of land assigned by the Indonesian Government for the purpose of producing timber and plywood.
We are committed to the development of Indonesia and its people. In that sense, our actions are not limited to just following the law but also to creating a meaningful impact in the communities that we work with.
To further achieve this goal, we will:
- Continue to provide health resources for people in the communities.
- Keep supporting education facilities.
- Continue creating business opportunities within the communities to help reducing poverty.
- Maintain and enhance our efforts to support communities fight climate change and global warming as well as to increase local awareness concerning biodiversity conservation and its habitat.
- Improve our procedures with regards to respecting the customary and cultural land rights of communities.
- Establish and practice Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) principle and process.
- Improve our conflict resolution frameworks as well as communicate these better to stakeholders and community members.
- Establish participatory mapping prior to any new development to determine stakeholder boundaries and land uses.
- Actively create new programs to help improve the lives of people in the communities.
We conduct our business in a manner that respects and guarantees human rights. Labor rights are not an exception.
Consequently, we will:
- Ensure that the rights of all people working in any operation in our supply chain are respected according to local, national and international laws. This includes international standards like the ones set by the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- Ensure that the people employed in our operations understand their rights and work responsibilities.
- Establish fair working conditions, not only in terms of wages but also in terms of security inside the workplace.
- Guarantee fair and equal employment opportunities for all employees regardless of race, nationality, religion, linguistic background, or gender.
We commit to resolving complaints and conflicts through an open, transparent and effective process. We seek to engage and collaborate with the local, regional and national governments, certification bodies, regional projects, and NGOs to help better manage our operations.
Consequently, we will:
- Work with key stakeholders and independent verification bodies to implement sustainable growth and promote industry transformation.
- Maintain a monitoring and assessment program to communicate information, progress toward policy compliance, complaints resolution, and supplier engagement and verification.
- Publish Sustainability Reports on implementation of sustainable growth.
- Resolve grievances promptly, responsibly, responsively, and proactively.
Transparency & Accountability
- Develop a Sustainable Time Bound Plan in order to be able to set targets for continuous improvement.
- Provide regular updates on the development of external complaints along with the chronology of efforts to resolve them through Grievance System.
- Open communication with relevant parties in order to build an adequate and responsible understanding.
- Submit Sustainability Report annually regarding the sustainability progress that has been made.
For a more detailed explanation of the ESG Charter or ESG program, please contact Korindo PR Team at firstname.lastname@example.org